Thursday, April 13, 2006

Sticks and stones may break my bones..

but words can never hurt me.

I never understood what this meant growing up....

What a phrase! Who coined this thing? I have never heard more untruth (is that a word?) in my life!

I was watching Oprah yesterday about "Schools in crisis" and this little girl was saying how she had told her teacher she wanted to be a plastic surgeon when she grew and her teacher responded "Girl you aint never gonna be a plastic surgeon, you're dumber than a bump on a log". I immediately started crying when I heard that- how sad! How can you crush a young childs dream like that! It reminded me of a time in 2nd grade when I answered a question in class incorrectly and my teacher said "No amy. Use some common sense, or dont you have any?". I will never forget those words- they hurt me deeply. My teacher essentially told me I was stupid.

All this has gotten me thinking about the words that come out of my mouth. Not just to children but to everybody. Words and actions are the most powerful forms of communication we have- let's choose to display words of love! THe Lord commands us to anyway...Words can make or break somebodys day, somebodys outlook on themself, somebodys confidence...everything. Words can be life altering....so let's just think about the words we say before we say them!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey girlie! I already knew we were one in the same! :) Hello, our taste in guys! ;) *wink*

Neways, yeah I was a bit upset about this past week's episode too. I mean I've been wanting to see Rose and Benard's background but it seems rushed for the show...like...oh we need to do one...umm, she was suppose to die and now is not...go island! :) It's cool that someone knows about Locke and his wheelchair-ness. Sorry for hijacking your blog entry here but I didn't know how else to send ya my reply. I didn't think the one I got in my email would get to you. I hope you're having a great time in OK! I have two more years here! BLAH...I'll be going on a 4 month 'trip' to Qatar here in a few weeks so if you give me your email address I'll be able to write ya there but won't have any other way (no blogs, myspace, etc.):(

AprilMarie Hawbaker said...

amy.. lets not forget how mrs otwell made me eat lunch all by myself because I LAUGH TOO LOUD!!